Sunday, July 12, 2009

Mission Remembrances

Last month on the 28th, Romulus and I had been home from our missions for 3 years. It's weird to see how our lives have changed. But in a way, I imagined that I would be at the point that I would be at. At the end of the mission, I was afraid to make what I wanted a reality.

I remember my Mom saying that I never really talked much about my mission. It's not that I regret it or that I wish I didn't go. I wouldn't take that experience back for anything. With my life going in the direction that it is going, I remember it, but I don't necessarily look back on it as something that I need to share with people. I don't look back on it fondly wishing I were back there. The end of the mission marked a new beginning for me. The mission seems like a dream now and with intermittent people from that dream appearing in my life.

My boyfriend took a lot of pictures and videos from his mission. Not to say that he's trying to relive his mission (because he's not), but he keeps that with him. And I was wondering it there was something wrong with me in the fact that I don't like the constant reminders of such experience. But I thought about it a little more. It's like me to have experienced something and to leave it in the past. Because that is where it belongs. I didn't linger on my accomplishments from high school when I was in college. Nor do I linger onto the memories of college now that I'm not in college anymore. But I look forward to the future. Sure I like to remember certain things from the past. But living in the present is always more gratifying than trying to relive the past.

There are many more experiences waiting for me. Why try to recreate the past when the future has so much in store? I know that there is a lot in the future for me. And I work hard to make those things happen for me. The future is bright for us all. :)

1 comment:

Abelard Enigma said...

I've never talked much about my mission years. Like you, I have no regrets and I remember those 2 years with fondness; but, I've always tried to look forward rather than reminisce on the past.

Of course, as I write this, I realize my last blog post was relating an experience from my mission - oh well :)